30th International Competition YOUNG VIRTUOSO, ZAGREB 2024.
Zagreb, February 14th – 18th 2024
1. The 30th International Competition YOUNG VIRTUOSO, ZAGREB 2024, piano, is organised by the Music School Pavao Markovac and under the patronage of The Zagreb City Assembly. The competition is going to take place from 14 – 18 February, 2024.
2. The competition is divided into five categories and the Revue for the youngest candidates. Candidate’s age is calculated according to the years he has turned until the date of the beginning of the competition, the February 14th, 2024.
* IV and V category are divided into two stages. The jury decides if the candidate has the right to perform in the second stage.
Revue / registration fee 20 €
I category / registration fee 40 €
Duration: up to 10 minutes
II category / registration fee 40 €
Duration: up to 15 minutes
III category / registration fee 50 €
Duration: up to 20 minutes
IV category/ registration fee 60 €
V category / registration fee 60 €
* Etudes (pieces) by Croatian composer Dubravko Palanović, composed specifically for this competition, will be available for informational purposes here from October 1st 2023.
4. The entire programme has to be performed by heart; repetitions are not necessary. The jury has the right to ask for sheet music of any piece and competitor have to provide it. The jury listens to the programme as a whole.
5. The awarded contestants are obliged to attend the diploma and award giving ceremony, where all first-prize and special-prize winners will be performing, otherwise they lose the right to the award.
The Revue category is not of competitive character, and as such has no list of order; all participants get participation diploma, and at least one participant, chosen by the jury, will perform at the final concert.
In other categories gold, silver and bronze diplomas will be awarded. Gold diplomas for every competitor with 90 to 100 points, silver diplomas for every competitor with 80 – 89,99 points, and bronze diplomas for every competitor with 70 – 79,99 points.
The jury can award three prizes in each category which can be shared:
I prize: 200 EUR
II prize: 150 EUR
III prize: 100 EUR
I prize: 300 EUR
II prize: 200 EUR
III prize: 100 EUR
I prize: 400 EUR
II prize: 300 EUR
III prize: 200 EUR
I prize: 500 EUR
II prize: 400 EUR
III prize: 300 EUR
I prize: 600 EUR
II prize: 500 EUR
III prize: 400 EUR
Point score for every competitor from every member of the jury will be public.
– Absolute winner of the competition is awarded the Plaque of the City of Zagreb and the prize of 1000 EUR
– For the best performance of an etude – 300 EUR
– For the best performance of the piece by J. S. Bach – 300 EUR
– Award „Zvjezdana Bašić“ for best performance of the virtuoso piece – 200 EUR
– Award for the best performance of classical sonata, donation from prof. Jelica Kuzmin – 200 EUR
Other special prizes:
– Croatian composers’ society award for the best performance of the obligatory etude by the Croatian composer – work of art
– Award “Zagreb Youth Chamber Orchestra (ZOKOR)” for highest rated competitor from Croatia
– Prize International Summer Music School Makarska (masterclass from prof. Ruben Dalibaltayan and prof. Julia Gubaydullina)
7. The application for the competition is submitted in writing by filling in the online application form.
Application deadline is January 15th 2024.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
By submitting the application form, the contestants agree to make their data available to the Organizer for the purpose of preparing Competition documents (program booklet, schedule of acoustic rehearsals, diplomas, results of the Competition). All Competition documents will be published on the Young Virtuoso Competition website and will be available in printed form.
Participation fee is to be sent to the following transfer account:
Glazbena škola Pavla Markovca, Trg žrtava fašizma 9, Zagreb
Zagrebačka banka d.d. 10000 Zagreb
SWIFT address: ZABAHR2X
Reference number: 30-2024
Payment description: Name of the competitor
8. The organizer has the right to limit the number of competitors if due to the large number of applicants it will not be able to ensure the proper running of the competition within the foreseen time frames. In this case, the order of the application will be considered.
9. All travelling and accommodation costs must be paid by the participants themselves.
10. The exact performance order in all categories is determined by the first letter of candidate’s family name. 30th International Competition Young Virtuoso, Zagreb, 2024. will begin with letter S.
11. The organizer of the competition will accord the candidates rooms for preparation according to the spatial possibilities and the announced schedule.
12. The competition is public, will be recorded and live streamed. The organizer has the right to use and reproduce the recordings without compensation.
13. The results will be announced after each category ends. All candidates will receive certificate for participation. The winners will be awarded diplomas and prizes at the final concert.
14. Prize-winners are obliged to perform at the final concert without any financial retribution; otherwise they lose the right to the prize.
15. The programme of the final concert is set by the jury and it can not be changed.
16. The winners of the first prizes in a former competition can’t compete in the same category.
17. Absolute winners of former competitions YOUNG VIRTUOSO – ETUDES AND SCALES, piano have no right to compete again.
18. The jury consists of prominent Croatian and world pianists and pedagogues.
19. Member of the Jury does not assess competitors to whom he is a mentor or with whom he is related.
20. The decision of the jury is final.
21. The organizer disclaims all responsibility in case of injury or any accidents that may befall participants of the Competition (active and passive participants, teachers / mentors, organizers, as well as all the other guests who find themselves in the premises where the event is held) and damage or theft of their property .
22. The organizer, Music school Pavao Markovac, reserves the right to change the Competition regulations.
23. Should there be any doubts in understanding the regulations, the Croatian text will be taken into account.
24. By signing the application for the competition, all competitors accept the stated rules.